The HTTP Protocol
You can't start developing for the web without knowing the fundamentals. This module talks about the HTTP
protocol used to
request resources from the server. We'll explore the details of what is used for a browser and for a server to
sure the communication is legitimate.
- Http Verbs
- Status Codes
ASP.NET MVC: Introduction
In this module You will learn about the MVC pattern and why this pattern fits so well in the world of websites.
- The Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- MVC in ASP.NET
- Client-centric versus Server-centric
The 3 Main ASP.NET MVC Components
Once you understand MVC, you need to learn how it is implemented in ASP.NET. This module explores the most
of the framework.
- Handling the user interaction with Controller
- Rendering the response with MVC views
- Creating a MVC Model and ViewModel
- LAB: The 3 main ASP.NET Components
This module will teach you about ViewModels, which helps maintaining a clean seperation between the Model and
- Passing Data to a View
- LAB: Using ViewModels
we'll try to
explain a couple of its quirks as well. This way, we can avoid surprises later.
- Primitives and Objects
- Functions and the Self-Invoking Function Pattern
- Strict Mode
- Error Handling
- LAB: Language Fundamentals
Responsive Web Design with Bootstrap
Your web site needs to look fabulous on any device; whether it's a laptop, tablet or phone. Let's bootstrap be
in the messy world of media queries.
- Normalizing and Resetting
- The Grid System
- Utility classes
- LAB: Designing a UI with Bootstrap
ASP.NET Framework Pipeline
Before we can take a look at Controllers, Validation and Views in depth. You need to understand how a request
a response. This small module will take you through the depths of the MVC framework and we'll follow a request
the very beginning until the end.
- Clean Uri's with ASP Routing
- Controllers and Actions
- ActionResults and ViewEngines
ASP.NET MVC Routing
This URL means do that thing. Having full control over this is not difficult, but essential for any ASP.NET MVC
- Formatting the Request URL
- Convention-Based Routing
- Routing Attributes
- Using Areas for building large MVC sites
- Debugging URL Routing
- LAB: Routing in ASP.NET MVC
ASP.NET MVC Controllers
In this module we'll take a closer look at the C in MVC. The controller has a very important role to fulfill:
It's the component
that figures out what to do when receiving a request.
- Model Binding
- Different Action Results
- Working with GET and POST
- Action Filters
- LAB: using MVC Controllers
In this module you'll explore Razor and its syntax. You'll see the basics as well as some advanced scenarios.
- Views and View Engines
- Layout and Sections
- HTML Helpers
- LAB: Sections and HTML Helpers
Reusable Razor Building Blocks
Don't copy-paste Razor! Reuse Razor! That's what you'll see here.
- Partial Views
- Child Actions
- Display and Editor Templates
- LAB: Reusable Razor Building Blocks
- Explicit versus Implicit Validation
- Validating data using Data Annotations
- Self-Validating Models
- Validating using the Model Binder
- LAB: Data Validation
ASP.NET MVC Dependency Injection & Testing
Dependency Injection is the art of decoupling an object from its dependencies. Next to benefits like
separation of concerns, it also makes testing a lot easier. In this module you will use dependency injection to
your first unit tests.
- Methods of Dependency Injection
- Dependency Inversion, Explicit Dependencies and Inversion of Control
- Unit Testing your Components
- Stubbing, Mocking & Faking
- LAB: Dependency Injection in MVC
Building RESTful Services with Web API
If you are building a more client-centric application, it is important to send data back and forth between your
server. Web API uses REST to send data. It's based on the same principles as MVC.
- What is REST?
- Building a REST Web-API with ASP.NET Web API
- Supporting multiple representations: XML and JSON
- LAB: Building a REST API
Client-side service consumption with Vue JS
In this topic we'll have a closer look at Vue.
- The Evolution of Web Development
- Components Everywhere
- Vue Essentials
- Using the Fetch API to consume a REST Service
- LAB: Consuming a REST API with Vue JS
Authentication is about identifying who the user of the system is. In this chapter we look at the different
mechanisms and their application.
- Knock Knock... Who's There?
- Windows Integrated
- Username and Password
- Using External Authentication such as Google or Facebook
- Extending Authentication with your own Data
- Impersonation and Delegation