Introduction to Power BI
This module introduces the fundamental concepts of the Power BI platform. It provides a high level overview of
Power BI Desktop and the Power BI Cloud Service. Participants will also setup a trial Office 365 subscription which will
be used throughout the course when publishing and sharing Power BI artifacts.
- The need for Business Intelligence
- Self-Service BI versus Enterprise BI
- Core concepts of Power BI
- Introducing Power BI Desktop
- Introducing the Power BI Service
- Power BI Service Tiers and Features
Creating queries with Power BI Desktop
In this chapter you will learn how to create queries in Power BI Desktop to extract data from source systems like SQL Server, Oracle,
Excel files, CSV files, and so on. Applying transformations that can filter, sort and clean the extracted data will also be covered.
- Core concepts of Power Query
- Creating Queries to load data
- Applying basic transformations
- Working with Direct Query
- LAB: Creating queries with Power BI Desktop
Enhancing a Data Model in Power BI Desktop
Participants will learn how a data model can be enhanced by building hierarchies inside tables and by giving columns a
meaningful name and data type. Furthermore, measures and calculated columns can be created using DAX. Participants will also learn about the importance of having the correct relationships
- Renaming columns and tables
- Hiding columns and tables from the Data Model
- Column data type and formatting
- Working with numerical fields
- Sorting data in columns
- Data categorization
- Creating Hierarchies in tables
- Defining calculated columns and measures using DAX
- Working with Quick Measures
- Defining relationships between tables
- LAB: Enhancing a Data Model in Power BI Desktop
Designing Reports in Power BI Desktop
After the data model has been fine-tuned, we can use it to create our reports. Power BI allows you to create very
impressive reports, and in this module we will explore many visualizations as well as the interaction between these
- Overview of the Report Canvas
- Adding text boxes, shapes and images
- Using built-in visualizations
- Add style and branding through themes
- Printing a Power BI Report
- Creating Power BI Templates
- LAB: Designing Reports in Power BI Desktop
Enhancing Reports in Power BI Desktop
Sometimes a static report just isn't enough. In this module you'll learn how to make interactive reports which are easy to use for any type of end user.
Take your reports to the next level.
- Working with Slicers and Filters
- Working with drill through report pages
- Working with Bookmarks
- Visual hierarchies and drill-down behavior
- Grouping and Binning
- Using Custom Visuals
- Create reports that are optimized for phones
- LAB: Enhancing Reports in Power BI Desktop
Introduction to the Power BI Service
If you want to share models and reports with you co-workers, you should upload them to the Power BI service.
In this module you will learn about the general features of the Power BI service, the next modules dive into the details.
- What is the Power BI Service?
- Power BI Service pricing and features
- Working with Datasets and Reports
- Creating and using Workspaces
- LAB: Introduction to the Power BI Service
Creating Datasets and Reports in Power BI Service
For some types of reporting you do not want to go through the hassle of creating a dataset in Power BI Desktop.
That's why for a limited set of data sources we can start using them directly from the Power BI service without the need to first create an offline model.
In this module you'll learn how to create these models directly in the Power BI Service.
- Creating Datasets in the Power BI Service
- Connecting to a dataset from the service in Power BI Desktop
- DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services
- Using Quick Insights
- Creating Reports in the Power BI Service
- Printing Reports
- Export to PowerPoint
- LAB: Creating Datasets and Reports in Power BI Service
Creating Dashboards and Analyzing Data with Power BI Service
Dashboards allow you to combine visuals from different reports into one page for quick access.
This module teaches you to build and customize these dashboards in the Power BI Service.
- Creating Dashboards
- Configuring Dashboards for Mobile Devices
- Working with Power BI Q&A
- Analyze a dataset from the service in Excel
- LAB: Creating Dashboards
Sharing Content in the Power BI Service
Power BI has different mechanisms to share content with other users: Sometimes you want to share in order to develop something together,
or you want others to customize something, or maybe you want others to have read-only permissions on the shared object.
In this module you'll learn how to accomplish this with the different sharing options in the Power BI Service.
- Sharing Reports and Dashboards with internal and external users
- Sharing content inside a Workspace
- Creating Power BI Apps
- Consuming Power BI Apps
- Publishing Reports to the web
- Subscribing to Report updates
- Embedding a report in SharePoint online or Teams
- Report usage metrics
- LAB: Sharing Content in the Power BI Service
Using Power BI with Mobile Devices
- Supported Platforms
- Accessing Reports and Dashboards from mobile devices
Power BI is a suite of business analytics tools to analyze data and share insights. Power BI Desktop transforms your
company's data into rich visuals for you to monitor your business and get answers quickly with reports and dashboards available on
In this training you will learn how to create queries with Power BI Desktop to collect and transform data from
databases, cubes, online Excel files,... You will learn how to enrich a data model with relationships, hierarchies,
DAX calculated columns and measures. Finally you will see how to create interactive reports using the large
set of visualizations available in Power BI Desktop and share them using the Power BI Service and Power BI Mobile apps.
This course is intended for business users without any prior knowledge of Power BI. No technical or IT background is required.