Introduction to Azure SQL
Azure SQL is a relational database service in the Microsoft cloud based on Microsoft SQL Server. In this introduction module, participants are introduced to the available Service Tiers, the concept of a DTU and the pricing of Azure SQL.
- What is Azure SQL?
- Azure SQL Architecture
- Azure SQL Pricing
- Azure SQL Service Tiers and DTU's
- Working with the Azure Management Portal
Azure SQL Management
In this module, participants will learn how to create an Azure SQL logical server. An Azure SQL server is a central administration point for multiple databases. Participants will also learn how to create an Azure SQL Database. Once the Azure SQL Server and Azure SQL Databases are up and running, Firewall rules must be configured to allow client applications to connect to the Azure SQL Databases.
- Creating and configuring a Server in Azure SQL
- Creating and configuring an Azure SQL Database
- Implementing Firewall Rules
- Overview of the Azure SQL Management Tools
Developing Azure SQL Databases
- Creating tables, views, stored procedures, ...
- Migrate an existing SQL Server database
- Exporting and Importing BACPAC files of a SQL Database
- Copy an Azure SQL Database
Azure SQL Database Client Connectivity
- Connectivity Overview
- Available Connectivity Libraries
- Azure SQL Database Connection Strings
Scaling Azure SQL Databases
- Introducing Elastic Database Pools
- Implementing Elastic Database Pools and working with eDTU's
- Creating Elastic Database Pools
- Configuring Elastic Databases
- Monitoring Elastic Database Pools
- Creating Elastic Jobs
Securing user access to Azure SQL databases
Authentication requires that users must prove their identity before they can login to an Azure SQL Server or Database. Authorization is used to control what users can actually do and see inside an Azure SQL Database. Participants will learn how they can work Logins and Users to configure the security of Azure SQL
- Authentication overview
- Configuring Authentication
- Configuring Authorization
- Creating Logins and Users
- Working with contained databases
Implementing Data Security in Azure SQL Databases
Students will learn how to configure Transparent Data Encryption which performs real-time encryption and decryption of the database and all associated backup and transaction log files.
- Security Overview
- Using Transparent Data Encryption
- Protecting sensitive data with Always Encrypted
Backup, Restore and High Availability
This module describes the capabilities that Azure SQL Database provides for business continuity and disaster recovery. Students will learn about the backup and restore features of an Azure SQL Database, how to setup geo-replication of Azure SQL Databases.
- Business Continuity overview
- Backup of an Azure SQL database
- Restoring an Azure SQL database
- Geo-Restore of an Azure SQL database
- Geo-Replication of Azure SQL databases
Monitor an Azure SQL database
- Configuring Database Auditing
- Azure SQL Database threat detection
- Working with Extended Events
Participants of this course will learn from a both a DBA and database developer's perspective how to setup and implement Azure SQL databases. The complete database lifecycle from creating and configuring your servers and databases, developing new database objects or migrating existing databases and client applications will be covered.
This 2-day course is intended for existing DBA's and database developers who want to move their databases to Azure SQL.
Participants of this course need to have a basic understanding of the Microsoft SQL Server platform.