Modern SharePoint sites
SharePoint is a powerful site provisioning engine, allowing you to create different sites for your projects, teams, meetings, products... It makes the distinction between Team and Communication sites, both serving different purposes.
If collaboration is your goal, and you need a place where your colleagues can work together, then a modern team site is ideal. If you need to publish content for colleagues, customers, suppliers, etc., a communication would be perfect.
In this module you will learn about the basics of these two types of SharePoint sites.
- What is a SharePoint Site?
- Creating SharePoint Sites
- Classic vs Modern Sites
- Configuring Sites
- Team Sites vs. Communication Sites
- Team Sites and Microsoft 365 Groups
- Building communication environments with Communication Sites
- Multilingual Pages
- Site Designs
- LAB: Creating, configuring and branding a SharePoint Team Site and Communication Site
Building Modern Collaboration & Intranet Environments
With the transition from classic to modern SharePoint, the way we organise our content has drastically changed. In this chapter we we look at how Hub Sites can isolate, structure and secure the data and documents of our organization.
- What is a Site Collection?
- What is a Hub Site?
- Hub Sites Shared configuration
- Content aggregation
- SharePoint look book and site designs
- SharePoint Home Site
- LAB: Designing and configuring a Hub Site environment
SharePoint Content Management
SharePoint offers rich content management features. Lists and Libraries are the core content management components allowing you to store data and documents with the possibility to enrich them with custom metadata. Furthermore, we'll look at the editing and filtering experience you get as well as customizing your lists and libraries into different views in order to satisfy the needs of your colleagues.
- Fundamentals of Apps, Lists and Libraries
- SharePoint Lists and Document Libraries
- Working with the Filter and Details Pane
- Working with metadata and different column types
- Managing what you see with views
- Provide rich experiences with Column and View Formatting
- Exporting and Importing Data
- LAB: Configuring and Formatting Lists and Libraries
Enterprise Content Management
Enterprise Content Management helps you by giving you tools to organize and manage content throughout the content life cycle, from creation to archive. It allows you to enforce different policies on your documents and to manage metadata and content types at enterprise level.
Content types are essential tools for managing content at scale. They can be used to enforce standards for custom metadata, document lifecycle, templates and more.
- Providing reusable metadata with Site Columns
- Metadata at enterprise level with the Managed Metadata Service
- Terms and TermSets
- Content Type guidelines
- Working with Document Templates
- Publishing of Enterprise Content Types with the Content Type Gallery
- LAB: Creating Content Types and Working with Managed Metadata
Working with Pages
Pages are essential for providing content to your colleagues. SharePoint page authoring makes it simple to create beautiful immersive responsive pages that integrate applications, data, text, media and many more. Pages are also crucial in providing news within your teams or organization. These news pages can be highly visible, since they are automatically aggregated in hub sites, mobile apps and the SharePoint home experience.
- Working with Site Pages
- Enriching your pages with web parts
- Authoring and publishing a Site Page
- Using pages as news
- Page approval
- Navigation best practices
- Changing the theme
- LAB: Creating and Publishing SharePoint Pages
Document Management is probably the most popular functionality of SharePoint. SharePoint Document Libraries allow you to easily manage versions, work together with your colleagues on the same document, assign metadata or work with different document templates.
- Working with Views in Modern Document Libraries
- Keep track of different versions
- Configure check-out and Approval
- Grouping documents in Document Sets
- Receive email Alerts
- Co-Authoring on Office documents
- Recycle Bin
- LAB: Configuring a Modern Document Library
OneDrive for Business
OneDrive for Business provides a place in the cloud where you can store, share, and sync your work files. You can update and share your files from any device with OneDrive (for Business).
- Store Work Files in OneDrive for Business
- OneDrive Mobile Apps
- Synchronize your documents with different devices
- Files On-Demand
Microsoft Teams allows organizations to setup a team based hub for chat, collaboration and for the integration of all kinds of applications
in one central location. This module will make you familiar with the core functionalities of Microsoft Teams.
You will learn how to combine Microsoft Teams and SharePoint Online in your organizations and how both products strengthen each other.
- Microsoft Teams Feature Overview: Chat, Teams, Meetings, Phone System
- Connecting a Team to an Microsoft 365 Groups
- Desktop, Mobile and Web Teams Client
- Teams, Channels, Tabs, Apps and Connectors
- Microsoft Teams configuration options
- Integrate SharePoint Online in Microsoft Teams with Tabs
- Using the Lists app in Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams Governance and Lifecycle Management
- LAB: Discovering Microsoft Teams
User Management & Permissions
As a site owner you can control access to the content stored within your site. You can invite colleagues and external users and decide which permission level will be assigned. This module will illustrate how sites handle the users that have access to your site, and how you control what those users can do.
- SharePoint site security architecture
- Simplified access with Site Owners, Site Members and Site Visitors
- Configuring Site Permissions and Group Membership
- Microsoft 365 Groups Permissions
- What are the available Sharing Options?
- LAB: Configuring Authorization
Sharing content with people has evolved a lot in SharePoint and OneDrive.
In this chapter we look at all the different sharing options that are available and the effect they have on the permissions system.
We also discuss how external access and guest accounts work.
- External Sharing in SharePoint Online
- Sharing Options
- Guest and Anonymous Access
- Configuration Options
SharePoint Online includes the ability to search for content across multiple sites and hub sites. The SharePoint Search query syntax includes the ability to refine a search based on a number of configurable refiners to find the data you are looking for. Modern SharePoint environments will not only use search by using the Search Centers but will also incorporate Search to drive navigation and to aggregate content from different locations.
- Wath is Microsoft Search?
- Search query syntax
- Managing the Search Schema
- Customizing Microsoft Search
- Search Query Modifiers, Verticals, Result Layouts and Connectors
- LAB: Microsoft Search
Office 365 is designed to help meet your organization's needs for content security and data usage compliance with legal, regulatory, and technical standards. Setting up policies and enabling services that optimize these conditions is an important part of administering Office 365 and SharePoint Online.
- Manage Classifications: Labels, Policies and Sensitive Information Types
- Data Loss Prevention
- Data Deletion Policies
- Data Governance: Archive, Retention, Disposition and Revision