SSRS Overview and Tools
This module provides an introduction to the topics covered in the class, introduces Reporting Services features, the tools available with SQL Server 2012, and introduces students to SQL Server documentation.
- Reporting Services Features
- Tools Available with SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server Documentation
Working with Solutions and Projects
This module covers working with solutions and projects within Visual Studio.
- Working with SQL Server Data Tools
- Understanding Solutions and Projects
- Working with the Visual Studio Interface
Creating Basic Reports
This module covers building reports from start to finish, and tips and tricks for successful report building.
- What is a Data Source?
- What is a Dataset?
- Using the Report Wizard
- What is Tablix?
- Creating a Tabular Report
- Creating a List Report
- What is a Matrix?
- Deploying a Project
This module covers the features which enhance the visual impact of reports.
- Working with Text Boxes
- Rich Text Formatting
- Managing Text Boxes
- Drawing Lines and Boxes
- Page Headers and Footers
- Adding a Document Map
- Rendering Reports
This module covers expressions and how to use them to set dynamically changing properties or values.
- Understanding Expressions
- Defining Expressions
- Working with Report Variables
- Understanding Lookup, LookupSet, and Multilookup Functions
- Expression Samples
Summarizing and Sorting
SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) offers grouping features to allow you to summarize data and then drill down into the details below the summary levels. This module will explain how to create and manage these groupings.
- Creating Groups
- Parent/Child vs. Adjacent Groupings
- Adding Totals and Aggregations
- Creating Aggregates of Aggregates
Add Flexibility with Parameters
Paramaterized reports allow users to customize reports to show only the data they are interested in. This module covers the use of parameters and filters.
- ? Adding Parameters to a Report
- Report Parameters vs. Query Parameters
- Manage Report Parameter Properties
- Use Parameters with SQL Queries and Stored Procedures
- Work with Cascading Parameters
- Sort Based on a Parameter Setting
- Filtered Reports
Enhanced Report Items
This module explores the different ways data can be enhanced visually in a report.
- Add a Map to a Report
- Data Bar, Indicator, and Sparkline Report Items
- Nesting Data Regions
- Sub-reports and Drill-through Reports
- Working with Drill-through Reports
Using Report Manager
This module provides details on how to run and manage reports using Report Manager.
- Navigating Report Manager
- Understanding Permissions
- Viewing Reports
- Working with Shared Data Sources
- Managing Reports
Using Report Builder for SQL Server 2012
This module covers the use of Report Builder to apply lessons learned in previous modules.
- ClickOnce vs. Stand-alone
- Installing the Stand-alone Version
- Using the Report Builder Tool
- Creating Datasets
- Creating Reports
- Creating Reports Using Wizards
- Creating Reports Without a Wizard
- OPening Existing Reports
- Working with Report Parts
This three-day instructor-led is intended for information workers and database professionals who are interested in expanding their knowledge about SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services. During this course, attendees will learn how to Report Designer in SSDT and Report Builder, work with solutions and projects, design basic reports, enhance reports with formatting and images, effectively group and summarize data, work with parameterized reports, incorporate charts and custom maps, and work with drill-through reports, and manage reports.
This course is intended for information workers and database professionals who have a general familiarity with databases prior to the class. Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Office applications is beneficial.