Introduction to Database Development
This module is used to introduce the entire SQL Server platform and its major tools. It will cover editions, versions, basics of network listeners, and concepts of services and service accounts.
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- SQL Server Database Development Tasks
Designing and Implementing Tables
This modules describes the design and implementation of tables. (Note: partitioned tables are not covered).
- Designing Tables
- Data Types
- Working with Schemas
- Creating and Altering Tables
Advanced Table Designs
This module describes more advanced table designs.
- Partitioning data
- Compressing Data
- Temporal Tables
Ensuring Data Integrity through Constraints
This module describes the design and implementation of constraints.
- Enforcing data Integrity
- Implementing Domain Integrity
- Implementing Entity and Referential Integrity
Introduction to Indexes
This module describes the concept of an index and discusses selectivity, density and statistics. It covers appropriate data type choices and choices around composite index structures.
- Core Indexing Concepts
- Data Types and Indexes
- Single Column and Composite Indexes
Designing Optimized Index Strategies
This module includes covering indexes and the INCLUDE clause, hints, padding / fillfactor, statistics. It also execution plans and the DTE Lessons.
- Covering Indexes
- Managing Indexes
- Execution Plans
- Using the DTE
This module introduces Columnstore indexes.
- Introduction to Columnstore indexes
- Creating Columnstore indexes
- Working Columnstore indexes
Designing and Implementing Views
This module describes the design and implementation of views.
- Introduction to views
- Creating and managing views
- Performance considerations for views
Designing and Implementing Stored Procedures
This module describes the design and implementation of stored procedures.
- Introduction to Stored Procedures
- Working with Stored Procedures
- Implementing Parameterized Stored Procedures
- Controlling Execution Context
Designing and Implementing User-Defined Functions
This module describes the design and implementation of functions, both scalar and table-valued. (Also discusses where they can lead to performance issues).
- Overview of Functions
- Designing and Implementing Scalar Functions
- Designing and Implementing Table-Valued Functions
- Implementation Considerations for Functions
- Alternatives to Functions
Responding to Data Manipulation via Triggers
This module describes the design and implementation of triggers.
- Designing DML Triggers
- Implementing DML Triggers
- Advanced Trigger Concepts
Using In-Memory Tables
This module covers the creation of in-memory tables and native stored procedures. Furthermore, advantages of in-memory tables are discussed, for example the removal of transaction blocking.
- In-Memory tables
- Native Stored Procedures
Implementing Managed Code in SQL Server
This module describes the implementation of and target use-cases for SQL CLR integration.
- Introduction to SQL CLR Integration
- Importing and Configuring Assemblies
- Implementing SQL CLR Integration
Storing and Querying XML Data in SQL Server
This module covers the XML data type, schema collections, typed and un-typed columns and appropriate use cases for XML in SQL Server.
- Introduction to XML and XML Schemas
- Storing XML Data and Schemas in SQL Server
- Implementing the XML Data Type
- Using the T-SQL FOR XML Statement
- Getting Started with xQuery
Working with SQL Server Spatial Data
This module describes spatial data and how this data can be implemented within SQL Server.
- Introduction to Spatial Data
- Working with SQL Server Spatial Data Types
- Using Spatial Data in Applications
Storing and Querying Blobs and Text Documents in SQL Server
This module covers full text indexes and queries.
- Considerations for BLOB Data
- Working with FileStream
- Using Full-Text Search